Image Compression Research Papers
Please, wait while we are validating your browser
SPIHT IMAGE COMPRESSION
Image Compression Books
The following books contain tutorials on SPIHT.
- , William A. Pearlman and Amir Said, Cambridge University Press, 2011. Please also take note of the corrections in the errata document.
This book is a textbook on signal compression suitable for advanced undergraduates and graduate students and for practioners in the field. It contains many figures, examples, and practice problems that are often computer projects. The 156-page problem solutions manual is available to instructors.
- Wavelet Image Compression , in Synthsis Lectures on Image, Video, and Multimedia Processing , by William A. Pearlman, Morgan & Claypool Publishers , Jan. 2013.
- Set Partition Coding: Part I of Set Partition Coding and Image Wavelet Coding Systems , by William A. Pearlman and Amir Said, Foundations and Trends in Signal Processing, , Vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 95-180, Now Publishers, Delft, The Netherlands, 2008. Please also view corrections. Also available directly from Now Publishers online.
- Image Wavelet Coding Systems: Part II of Set Partition Coding and Image Wavelet Coding Systems , by William A. Pearlman and Amir Said, Foundations and Trends in Signal Processing, , Vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 181-246, Now Publishers, Delft, The Netherlands, 2008. Also available directly from Now Publishers online.
- Introduction to Data Compression , 2nd ed., 3rd ed., by K. Sayood, Academic Press, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2000, 2006.
- Wavelet Transforms: Introduction to Theory and Applications by R. M. Rao and A. S. Bopardikar, Addison Wesley Longman, 1998.
- Video Coding: an introduction to standard codecs by M. Ghanbari,The Institution of Electrical Engineers (UK), 1999.
- JPEG2000: Image Compression, Fundamentals, Standards, and Practice by D. S. Taubman and M. W. Marcellin, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
- Data Compression: The Complete Reference by D. Salomon, Springer Verlag, 2000, 2004.
- A Guide to Data Compression Methods (Paperback) by D. Salomon, Springer Verlag, 2002.
- Wavelet Image Compression by Z. Xiong and K. Ramchandran, Chap. 5.4 in Handbook of Image and Video Processing , A. Bovik, Ed., Elsevier, Inc. 2005.
- Image and Video Compression for Multimedia Engineering by Y. Q. Shi and H. Sun, CRC Press, 2008.
- Wavelet Image and Video Compression , P. N. Topiwala, Editor, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998.
Image Compression Papers
By now there are more than 6000 publications (Google Scholar, 10/25/2013) citing the original journal article on SPIHT (see first paper below). For worked examples of SPIHT coding and some of our subsequent work on SPIHT compression, please go to the Homepage of W. Pearlman
The files below, with generic names, , contain papers in PostScript® format, which have been compressed with , and must be decompressed with or .
- File csvt96_sp.pdf
- Pre-print of the SPIHT image compression paper: "A New Fast and Efficient Image Codec Based on Set Partitioning in Hierarchical Trees," by Amir Said and William A. Pearlman, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 6, pp. 243-250, June 1996. IEEE Circuits and Systems Society 1998 Video Technology Transactions Best Paper Award.
- File ip96_sp.pdf
- Pre-print of the S+P transform paper: "An Image Multiresolution Representation for Lossless and Lossy Image Compression," by Amir Said and William A. Pearlman, first submitted July 1994, and published in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 5, pp. 1303-1310, Sept. 1996. IEEE Signal Processing Society 1998 Best Paper Award (Image and Multidimensional Signal Processing Area).
- File med_ms.ps.gz
- Compressed Postscript of a paper about compression of medical images, with a comparative evaluation of SPIHT and other methods. "Wavelet compression of medical images with set partitioning in hierarchical trees," by Armando Manduca and Amir Said, presented at the SPIE Symposium on Medical Imaging, Cambridge, MA, March 1996.
- File SpieVcip93.ps.gz
- Compressed Postscript of the S+P transform conference paper: "Reversible Image compression via multiresolution representation and predictive coding," by Amir Said and William A. Pearlman, presented at the SPIE VCIP Symposium, Cambridge, MA, Nov. 1993. The last images were removed to reduce the file size.
Anonymous FTP site is currently offline.
Links to other pages.
- SPIHT Home Page;
- Properties of the Method
- Licensing Information
- Demo Programs
- Demo Images
- Technical Discussion
- WWW Image Compression Resources
- Guest Book